Albert Schweitzer Institute
The Albert Schweitzer Institute cultivates the legacy of Albert Schweitzer — in thought and action — at Quinnipiac University and on a worldwide basis.
Albert Schweitzer, the 1952 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, was recognized for his contributions to peace by serving the medical needs of underserved populations in Africa, bringing attention to the harms perpetrated upon humans and the biosphere by atmospheric nuclear testing, and his philosophy of Reverence for Life. In these ways, he became an advocate for peace, for humanitarian values, for medical care, for (social, economic and political) development, for service to others, and for a growing environmental movement.
The institute’s programs include:
• Hosting conferences and speakers that focus on health, humanitarian service and peace efforts at the United Nations and on campus;
• Including students and faculty in an annual peace summit abroad, organized around the activities and interests of the living Nobel Peace laureates and laureate organizations;
• Engaging students in projects that promote public awareness of Schweitzer’s philosophy and its potential for cultivating a more peaceful, sustainable world.
The institute, located adjacent to the campus at 660 New Road, houses the offices of its staff as well as the Albert Schweitzer museum, which consists of artifacts and archives from Schweitzer’s collections.