Department of Cultural and Global Engagement
Quinnipiac University fosters respect for each individual by honoring the differences inherent among people. As an intellectual community of learners and scholars, we recognize and appreciate our common humanity. Acknowledging that we live in a pluralistic society, we have a genuine desire to ensure that all members of the Quinnipiac community feel empowered to express their own individuality. These principles underscore our central mission of teaching and learning and are vital to achieving national prominence and excellence in education. They also serve as the foundation for promoting the economic, social and cultural well-being of our community, our nation and beyond.
The associate vice president for academic affairs and chief diversity officer oversees the Department of Cultural and Global Engagement and engages the campus and surrounding community to help define, enable and foster an inclusive campus culture that embraces the diversity of identities, ideas and values that embody Quinnipiac University. For more information, please contact the office at 203-582-7987.
The Department of Cultural and Global Engagement promotes and sustains multicultural and global education by mentoring and advising students, facilitating transformative cultural experiences, preparing students to be responsible global citizens and enhancing creative and critical thinking through local and global academic engagement.
We believe in working in the intersection of internationalization and multicultural education, which provides creative opportunities for faculty, staff and administrators to:
- help students understand multiculturalism and social justice in a global context
- develop intercultural skills
- broaden attitudes and experiences for students such as study abroad, global service learning and courses with a travel component
- examine values, attitudes and responsibilities for local/global citizenship
- see how power and privilege are shifting the local/global context
- prepare students to cooperate and compete in a multicultural and global workplace.
Multicultural education provides advocacy for the cultivation of a sustainable campus environment that is supportive of a diverse student body. This area:
- works collaboratively with academic and administrative units to foster intercultural dialogue and programming
- delivers academic and social mentorship for underrepresented students to live, work, lead and succeed in a multicultural and global world
- assists multicultural student organizations in leadership development to enhance their active engagement and participation in the University community
- offers programming that enhances students’ understanding and appreciation of various ethnic, racial, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class and other cultural identities
- offers transitional support for incoming students of color, first generation and international students
- provides opportunities for students and faculty to learn about, embrace and celebrate diverse ethnic, racial and cultural identities.
Global education promotes, supports and develops a wide range of international and intercultural opportunities for all members of the community. This office:
- provides international experiences through education abroad
- maintains a supportive and stimulating environment for international students, faculty and staff
- hosts events and programs to increase the international activities at Quinnipiac.
See separate section for Study Abroad information.
Many Quinnipiac academic programs have developed one- to two-week programs that take place during winter, spring or summer break. These trips enable students to put their knowledge into use while providing service to developing countries around the world. The programs are coordinated with the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business, Communications, Education, Health Sciences, Nursing and Law. For more information, contact the Department of Cultural and Global Engagement at 203-582-3596.
The Department of Cultural and Global Engagement provides services for the international student population at Quinnipiac University. The department organizes on- and off-campus programs and events that are open to both international and domestic students. Services are provided from the time of acceptance through completion of the program, and many times extend beyond the program end date. Services include preparation of documents for visa issuance and work authorization, as well as workshops on employment, taxes and immigration procedures. Additionally, the department hosts a comprehensive orientation program each semester to prepare incoming international students and scholars for life and study at Quinnipiac University. The DCGE partners with Residential Life to host a Global Living and Learning Community for freshman students on campus. In this community, globally minded first-year students live together, take one or two courses together and attend multicultural programming events, including an alternative spring break trip. For more information, contact the Department of Cultural and Global Engagement at 203-582-8425 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.