Department of Cultural and Global Engagement
Quinnipiac University fosters respect for each individual by honoring the differences inherent among people. As an intellectual community of learners and scholars, we recognize and appreciate our shared humanity. Acknowledging that we live in a pluralistic society, we have a genuine desire to ensure that all Quinnipiac community members feel empowered to express their own individuality. These principles underscore our central mission of teaching and learning and are vital to achieving national prominence and excellence in education. They also serve as the foundation for promoting our community’s economic, social and cultural well-being.
The Department of Cultural and Global Engagement (DCGE) engages the campus and surrounding community. We help define, enable and foster an inclusive campus culture that embraces the diversity of identities, ideas and values.
The Department of Cultural and Global Engagement promotes and sustains multicultural and global education by mentoring and advising students, facilitating transformative cultural experiences, preparing students to be responsible global citizens and enhancing creative and critical thinking through local and global academic engagement.
We believe in working in the intersection of internationalization and multicultural education, which provides creative opportunities for faculty, staff and administrators to:
- Help students understand multiculturalism and social justice in a global context.
- Develop intercultural skills.
- Broaden attitudes and experiences for students such as study abroad, global solidarity programs and courses with a travel component.
- Examine values, attitudes and responsibilities for local/global citizenship.
- See how power and privilege are shifting the local/global context.
- Prepare students to cooperate and compete in a multicultural and global workplace.
For more information, please contact the office at 203-582-7987.
Multicultural education promotes inclusion and celebrates the diversity of Quinnipiac through a host of services and programs. As part of the Department of Cultural and Global Engagement, our goal is to create an environment that reflects, supports and encourages students to celebrate their cultural heritage together. This area:
- Offers programming and training that enhances the Quinnipiac community’s appreciation of various social identities, including race, gender and sexuality, socioeconomic class, and other cultural identities, and the practice of inclusive excellence among faculty, staff and students.
- Offers transitional support for incoming students of color, first-generation and international students through programs such as the QUEST Mentoring Program and QU FYI (First-Year Immersion).
- Works collaboratively with academic and administrative units to foster intercultural dialogue and programming.
- Delivers academic and social mentorship for underrepresented students to live, work, lead and succeed in a multicultural and global world.
- Assists and advises cultural student organizations in leadership development, and program planning, to enhance their active engagement and participation in the university and the local community.
- Provide space for high-impact learning around issues of diversity, equity, and social justice through intergroup dialogues and educational programming.
- Provides opportunities for students and faculty to learn about, embrace and celebrate diverse ethnic, racial, and cultural identities through training, workshops and programming.
At Quinnipiac University, we feel a sense of obligation to work toward a more interconnected and globally engaged environment. We do this by increasing intentional global engagement opportunities for students, faculty and staff to learn both in and outside the classroom. Quinnipiac students participate in semester and short-term programs, internships, community engagement, clinical, research and faculty-led programs abroad in various countries such as Barbados, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Germany, Guatemala, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Morocco, Poland and Spain. Administered by the Department of Cultural and Global Engagement, study abroad programs provide the opportunity to develop responsible and engaged citizens by cultivating their cultural awareness and humility, as well as skills and knowledge necessary to participate respectfully in the global community. All students are advised to plan early for study abroad and to discuss with their academic adviser to determine whether they can fulfill their graduation requirements through a study abroad program. Students also must attend an information session to understand the policies and procedures for our education abroad opportunities.
The following opportunities are available:
Students have an opportunity to study for a full semester (ranging from 4 to 6 months) at an international institution. Depending on the student’s major, he or she can participate as early as spring semester of the first year through senior year.
Short-term programs are offered during the winter or summer breaks. There are opportunities for faculty-led programs abroad, or programs offered through partner institutions.
Students from certain majors can fulfill some of their clinical affiliation or fieldwork with international partners.
Internships and experiential learning – These opportunities integrate the knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting.
Community engagement – Students can participate in community-driven learning experiences by living with host families and engaging with long-term global partners.
Research – Students partner with Quinnipiac or international faculty to conduct and participate in independent or capstone research projects.
Exchange – This program involves a direct exchange of faculty and/or students between international partners for a semester or short-term period.
The Department of Cultural and Global Engagement supports students throughout their global education experiences by offering the following services:
- Pre-departure workshops
- Re-entry workshops
- Advising and mentorship
- Opportunities for students to take on leadership roles
The Department of Cultural and Global Engagement supports the international student population at Quinnipiac University. The department provides guidance on a wide range of topics for international students in the U.S., including immigration issues (visa regulations, work authorizations, travel), academic and cultural differences, and resources at Quinnipiac and in the local community. Each semester, the department hosts a comprehensive orientation program to prepare newly arrived international students and scholars for life and study at Quinnipiac University. The DCGE organizes on- and off-campus programs and events that are open to international and domestic students. The department also coordinates the Global Partners Program, a peer-support program that partners new international students with current students who serve as mentors. The DCGE partners with Residential Life to host Global Living, a first-year, Living-Learning Community for domestic and international students.
For more information, contact the Department of Cultural and Global Engagement at 203-582-5215 or via email at email@example.com.