Part-Time Undergraduate Studies

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Echlin Center

Title Name Phone Email
Transfer & Part-time Admissions 203-582-8612

Quinnipiac University offers the ability to obtain a degree on a part-time basis in select programs. Part-time students are an integral part of the university and benefit from the many resources and services available to students. For example, academic support is available in the Learning Commons, which maintains evening hours. In addition, Quinnipiac offers several ways to use previous collegiate and noncollegiate learning experiences to award college credit and also recognizes student financial needs through payment plans and financial assistance.

Non-Matriculated Students

Part-time students may take a limited number of courses without applying for admission (non-matriculated) if they are attempting to build an academic record after many years of absence from school, or are not ready to pursue a degree program. To be considered for non-matriculated study, the student must have earned a high school diploma. A maximum of 6 credits may be taken in any semester on a space-available basis. Advanced courses may require specific prerequisites and permission for registration. Non-matriculated students must contact the registrar’s office for further information about registration.

A student who does not meet the above requirements may not register as a non-matriculated student and must contact the admissions office at 203-582-8612 to apply for part-time study and provide official high-school and college transcripts. Current non-matriculated students are encouraged to apply for admission/change of status as soon as possible to ensure guidance with course selection and a degree program. No more than 12 credits may be completed by non-matriculated students in the School of Business.

Changing Status—Non-degree to Degree

Students who have earned credit at Quinnipiac and wish to apply for matriculation into a degree program in the College of Arts and Sciences or the Schools of Business, Engineering, Communications or Health Sciences, should initiate the admission process by filing a “Change of Status” form available from the Office of Part-time Admissions. All appropriate documents required by the university for admission should be sent to the same office. Coursework already completed at Quinnipiac as a non-degree student is considered in the admission process, as well as coursework from other institutions. Students should contact the Office of Transfer and Part-time Admissions at 203-582-8612 with any questions.

Academic Good Standing Policy

All part-time students, whether matriculated or non-matriculated, are subject to the Academic Good Standing Policy of the University. See Academic Good Standing Policy for Undergraduate Students.

Academic Policies

The detailed academic policies that govern all students are found in the undergraduate Student HandbookGraduate Student Handbook and in the policy section of this catalog. Below are the basic academic policies that govern part-time students.

Placement Tests

To ensure appropriate placement in English courses, all transfer students with only one semester of English transferring in from another school must take the English placement test.

A math placement exam is also required to determine appropriate placement before registering for math courses required in all majors; and a language placement test is required for students continuing in a language from high school.

There is no fee for the placement exams, and arrangements can be made for taking the tests through the appropriate academic department.

Transfer of Credit

Credits for college courses taken at other regionally accredited institutions normally may be transferred if they carry a grade of C or better. Evaluation of University Curriculum transfer credit is completed by the transcript evaluator. Additional credits are reviewed by the school to which the student has transferred. The maximum number of transfer credits that may be accepted by Quinnipiac University is 75 credits. At least one-half of the courses in a major must be taken at Quinnipiac University. Certain majors may request course completion within a five-year period. Official acceptance of transfer credit is completed upon matriculation.

AP and CLEP Exam Policies

Quinnipiac University participates in the Advanced Placement (AP) program and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), which provides an opportunity for students to obtain credit through examination (credits are accepted as transfer) for AP and CLEP exams taken prior to matriculation at Quinnipiac. Information regarding AP and CLEP exams may be obtained from the Office of Transfer and Part-time Admissions. Quinnipiac University does not accept CLEP credits earned after a student is matriculated.

Military Credit for Prior Learning

Quinnipiac evaluates military training and experience according to the American Council on Education (ACE) standards for recommended college credit. Veterans and service members may be eligible for college credit based on their military experience, coursework, or other training as documented on their Joint Services Transcript–(JST)/ Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript.  Determination of credit award is based on competencies and approved by school or college dean’s offices. Students must be matriculated at Quinnipiac to earncredit for military experience.


Course offerings and registration forms are available on the Registrar's Office website. Registration is completed by submitting the electronic forms. Currently enrolled students may register via Student Planning within their scheduled window each semester. Students should check course descriptions for any specific prerequisites prior to registering.

Special Programs

Accelerated Online Courses

Part-time students may be able to complete some requirements more rapidly and shorten the path to their degrees with these options. A limited number of accelerated (seven-week) online courses are offered year round.

Auditing Courses

Alumni and seniors (65 and older) may audit courses on a space-available basis. The student is responsible for the registration fee and any technology fees. In addition, seniors may take courses for credit, on a space-available basis, by paying the registration fee and any technology fees. Questions should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.