Student Incident Policy (Accident and Injury)

Policy reviewed April 1, 2019, by the University-Wide Safety Committee and the Clinical Education Compliance Committee.

Approved policy for Quinnipiac University students who are involved in an accident or suffer an injury while participating in a course/university related activity both on or off-site (e.g., a laboratory, clinical training, athletics, etc.).

Please reference the Student Incident Report Form (to be completed by student).

Please reference the Student Control Exposure Control Plan for Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens.

Please reference Appendix 4 for instructions on how to file a claim. 

Background Information

The university recognizes that some students, in their coursework, clinical practicums, or other university-related activities, may suffer an unforeseen accident. All students must be educated about how to minimize or eliminate the likelihood of an accident before they participate in these activities. Additionally, they must be informed as to how to proceed if they are involved in an accident, either on or off campus, while participating in a course/university-related activity.

If a student is involved in any unusual occurrence such as a fall or other mechanical injury, an allergic reaction, an accident in the lab, an exposure to airborne or bloodborne pathogens, an emergency transport, or a clinical event (e.g., medication error, etc.), either on campus, off campus at a university-related activity or at a clinical site, a Student Incident Report Form needs to be completed.

It is to be completed and digitally approved by the student (when appropriate) and will be electronically routed to a supervising faculty/staff member and QU Student Health Services. In addition, if the student is on a clinical rotation, the clinical coordinator (as well as program director and affiliate site preceptor) should be notified about the incident within 24 hours. If a student suspects that they will need outside medical treatment as a result of this occurrence, they are encouraged to complete a Student Incident Report Form as soon as possible.

QU students are expected to continue in their academic and clinical endeavors after an incident or exposure. If a health care provider deems the student unfit for work or if a student is required to be on limited light duty/responsibilities, then the student must make every effort to obtain a written note by the health care provider to be documented with Student Health Services and the program director/administrator. Once medically cleared by a health care provider, the student is expected to return to academic and clinical duties immediately. In regard to a bloodborne pathogen exposure, a quarantine may be needed for the safety of the student and/or public. Also, in the event of contracting a bloodborne pathogen infection, they are to refer to their specific department for bloodborne pathogen infections protocols if applicable (refer to student program handbook).

An Injury Requires Immediate Action!

Instructions: Students shall use the Student Incident Report Form to report all injuries – no matter how minor. This helps faculty and staff to identify and correct hazards before they cause serious injuries. This form shall be completed by students as soon as possible and electronically forwarded to the staff member, instructor, clinical coordinator, program director or preceptor for further action.

Assessing Risk After an Injury

Assessing risk is often very difficult to clearly evaluate. The student should try to provide, to the best of their ability, the following information about circumstances surrounding the exposure incident:

  • Location of incident
  • Names of witnesses (if any)
  • Why did the unsafe condition(s) exist?
  • Why did the unsafe acts occur?
  • Were the unsafe acts or conditions reported prior to the incident?
  • Have there been similar incidents or near misses prior to this one?
  • What changes could prevent this incident/near miss from happening again?

Where to Go if an Injury Has Occurred

An incident at a location WITH on-site capability for initial care

Students who experience an injury at a location with on-site capability for providing appropriate care, such as an emergency department, will follow the site's protocol and seek immediate initial evaluation and treatment at the site.

An incident at a location WITHOUT on-site capability for initial care

If the site is without on-site capability for providing appropriate care for the injury, then the student should be seen at:

MidState Medical Center’s MediQuick
61 Pomeroy Ave., Meriden, Connecticut

(Open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days/week)

  • It is advised to call ahead to let MediQuick know the student is coming (203-694-5350). Inform them about the accident so that they can expedite getting the student seen as soon as possible.
  • If MediQuick is not open, then the student should be seen at a nearby hospital-affiliated urgent care center or hospital emergency department. The preferred site in the Hamden area is: MidState Medical Center Emergency Department. Meriden, Connecticut.
  • If the student is out-of-state, they should be seen at a nearby hospital-affiliated urgent care center or hospital emergency department.
  • If the student is out-of-state, any needed follow up care should be arranged at a hospital-affiliated urgent care center, employee health or hospital emergency department.  

The student is responsible for using their own health insurance or the university purchased accident only policy through Gallagher Special Risk to pay for any medical visits associated with their occupational incident. Students can instruct MidState to directly bill Gallagher once their health insurance has adjudicated a claim.

Payment of Services for Incident

The student is responsible for using their own health insurance to pay for any medical visits associated with their injury. Students also are covered by an "accident only" student insurance program that has been coordinated through the university with the Gallagher Special Risk. See Appendix 2

Documentation of an Incident

All student incidents, whether on or off campus, must be fully documented by filing a detailed Student Incident Report Form. If assistance is needed in filling it out, a staff member, a faculty member in the program/department or a nurse from Student Health Services can assist.

The report will be electronically routed to the director of the Quinnipiac University Student Health Services (FAX: 203-582-8924, TEL: 203-582-8742) and the faculty/staff selected on the form. The student is responsible for notifying their staff member, program director/department chairperson within FIVE (5) days of the incident. The student should then follow up with QU Student Health Services.

If on a clinical, the student will also likely be required to fill out a site-specific incident report form at the clinical affiliation site for their records. It is very important that the forms are filled out thoroughly and completely in order to aid in post-exposure evaluation and follow-up, and to protect the student's legal rights in the future, if necessary. The student should obtain copies of any and all post-incident evaluation/testing/treatment documents as follow-up will most likely occur at:

MidState Medical Center’s MediQuick
61 Pomeroy Ave., Meriden, Connecticut

(Open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days/week)

All information related to an incident will be kept confidential in the student's medical records file at Student Health Services at the university.


It is our aim to prevent as many unusual incidents as possible by educating students properly and by reminding them to always remain aware of the risks as they perform their duties. 

The following are guidelines for preventing student exposure incidents:  

  1. Attend and listen carefully at all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) training sessions.
  2. Pay careful attention to instructors and learn/practice good technique while being aware of surroundings.
  3. Adhere to the principle of Universal Precautions, which states that anyone’s blood/Other Potentially Infectious Materials (OPIMs) may be potentially infectious and therefore everyone’s blood and body fluids must be treated accordingly.
  4. Use personal protective equipment (e.g., gloves, gowns, face mask) as required to protect yourself.
  5. Think about what you are doing. Most incidents are due to carelessness!