Office of Community Service
The Office of Community Service, within the Division of Student Affairs, is located on the second floor of the Carl Hansen Student Center. The Office of Community Service is the central resource for students, faculty and staff interested in volunteering in the local community. The office provides support to students and faculty interested in community service and service learning, and is responsible for both expanding and coordinating programs that encourage service, civic engagement and volunteerism at the local, national and international level.
The Office of Community Service provides the following services:
- serves as a resource and contact for students, faculty and staff in the development of community service opportunities
- assists faculty in the development of service learning and experiential learning opportunities
- assists students, student organizations, campus offices and departments in the development, coordination and funding of community service activities
- develops and organizes the Alternative Break Program that engages students in domestic service activities
- acts as an advocate for, and adviser to, student organizations committed to service
- develops and maintains a database of local community agencies and nonprofits searching for volunteer assistance or open to hosting one-time small group service activities
- develops and manages the Work Study program that offers students with work study the opportunity to work in an elementary school or community agency
- supports student groups, university departments and faculty in the design and coordination of events that advocate for and educate the community about the unmet needs and issues of social justice within our local communities.