Fraternity and Sorority Life Policies
Social fraternities and sororities exist at Quinnipiac University as recognized student organizations and are expected to uphold all policies and procedures for recognized student organizations except where explicitly stated. Quinnipiac University reserves the right to address, through the Student Code of Conduct or Student Organization Conduct processes, behavior or incidents by individuals or organizations, which occur on or off campus that violate policies, procedures, expectations or requirements, or that may endanger the health, safety and welfare of others and/or adversely affect the university and/or the pursuit of its objectives.
Policy on Risk Management
The Quinnipiac University Student Organization Risk Management Policy exists to encourage safety and provide risk management standards for all student organizations including fraternities, sororities and governing councils. This policy addresses alcohol and drugs; hazing; discrimination, harassment and abuse; and fire, health and safety.
Policy on Extension of Membership, Education Process and Initiation
Chapters and colonies may only extend invitations for membership, or bids, during the academic year when fall or spring semester classes are in session. All new member activities, events or programs cannot exceed eight weeks and must take place during the academic year when fall or spring semester classes are in session. Additionally, chapters must initiate new members within the same semester that the invitation/bid was extended and accepted. Exceptions are made for initiation only into next semester where explicitly stated in inter/national governing documents or with a letter from the inter/national organization. Even in these cases, the entire new member education process must be completed the semester prior.
Policy on Recognition Requirements
To maintain good standing as a fraternity or sorority at Quinnipiac University, in addition to any requirements for recognized student organizations, all new chapters and chapters must:
- maintain at least five active undergraduate members at all times, except when granted written approval from the Office of Campus Life
- maintain a current roster on file with the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life that includes first, middle and last name; QU ID/username; date/semester joined; and officer/leadership positions for all members of the organization at all times
- notify the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life when any member of the organization is added, removed, drops from the new member process, resigns membership or takes early alumni status within 24 hours using the Change of Membership Form located on Do You QU
- notify the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life of any changes in officer positions within 24 hours of a change
- submit New Member/Intake programs to the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life by the first day of classes each semester (including written approval by an inter/national headquarters approved chapter adviser)
- affiliate and maintain membership as a full or associate member of an existing governing council within one semester of university recognition and meet any requirements and expectations set forth by the respective governing council
- attend activities, events and meetings as required by the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Submit the monthly Chapter report during each month of the academic year
- Failure to meet minimum accreditation standards set buy the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life may result in loss and/or suspension of recognition.
Policy on Expansion/Extension
Fraternities and sororities, like any student organization at Quinnipiac University, may not be present or assemble without written approval from the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life. Students or organizations interested in starting a new chapter at Quinnipiac University must meet the following requirements and criteria to be considered for expansion/extension:
- Organization must be an inter/national social fraternity or sorority (not academic or honorary) and have a valid insurance policy that is accessible upon request.
- Local fraternities or sororities are not permitted at Quinnipiac University.
- Organization must be a member of/affiliated with a national umbrella organization such as NIC, NPC, NMGC, NALFO, NAPA, NPHC, etc.
- Fraternities and sororities not holding membership in or affiliated with one of these organizations may be considered at the discretion of the director of the Office of Campus Life
- The chapter/colony must be based and chartered exclusively at Quinnipiac University
- Quinnipiac University does not recognize citywide or metropolitan chapters without written exception from the Office of Campus Life
If all aforementioned qualifications are met, students or organizations should contact the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life to discuss the process and state of the community, and provide, in full, all information requested below to email@example.com for review.
- general information about the organization
- clear information on how the organization would benefit the greater Quinnipiac University and fraternity/sorority communities through directly supporting and aligning with the Quinnipiac University Learning Paradigm and, specifically, advancing the Essential Learning Outcomes
- all inter/national standards, policies and member expectations
- colonization process including support provided for colonies/chapters
- chartering requirements
- new member education/intake program
- written agreement with all terms, policies and procedures of Quinnipiac University and the Quinnipiac University Student Handbook
All student interest groups and/or intern/national organizations must adhere to and participate in any expansion/extension process as required by the respective fraternity or sorority governing council, where applicable, or the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life. These requirements may be adjusted at any point to ensure that requested information aligns with university mission and vision, as well as fraternity and sorority community needs.