Department of Social Work
Program Contact: Carol R. Awasu 203-582-6433
The Master of Social Work (MSW) program at Quinnipiac University prepares social workers for specialized practice in health and mental health through a curriculum that focuses on clinical and organizational practice, experiential learning, and interprofessional teamwork. Guided by respect for human dignity and a commitment to social justice, the MSW program uses a person-in-environment framework to ready students for professional practice in dynamic contexts.
The program prepares students for achievement and leadership in the field of social work. The curricular approach of the MSW program is unique in that it directly engages students in interprofessional education and the health care team approach.
Quinnipiac’s MSW program embraces the university’s commitment to the development of professional expertise through practice experience. The two field placements offer students the opportunity to practice skills learned in the classroom in real-world settings. A seminar that supports the student in integrating academic and fieldwork is held monthly. Upon completion of the MSW degree, the student will have at least 1,000 hours of professional preparation in the field.
Students entering Quinnipiac as undergraduates who are interested in the social work program also have the option of pursuing a dual-degree bachelor's-master's program. There are two options: the Accelerated Dual-Degree BS in Health Science Studies/Master of Social Work (3+2) or the Accelerated Dual-Degree Bachelor's/Master of Social Work (3+2) program. Graduate students in the MSW program also have the option of pursuing a dual-degree JD/MSW.
Additional program costs:
As a clinical education program, the MSW program requires some expenses that go beyond standard university tuition and fees:
- Clinical/Fieldwork Education Travel (gas, parking, public transportation): You are responsible for the costs associated with travel to and from field internships. Costs – variable.
- Background Check: Quinnipiac University and its clinical affiliates require that all students undergo a criminal background check, through the university vendor, prior to beginning classes (University Criminal Background Check Policy). Please note that placement sites may require that students participate in the agency’s background check, in addition to the one required by the university.
- University background check cost – $63 for all domestic addresses for the past 7 years or $158 for students who have resided in New York state in the last 7 years due to NY state surcharge.
- Some students may be required to do an annual recheck one year after the initial background recheck. Cost – $32 per annual recheck.
- Drug Screening: Some sites require physical and/or substance use drug screens as well as fingerprinting. MSW students are expected to comply with all agency requirements prior to beginning field internships.
- Liability Insurance: All students have liability insurance coverage through the university, free of charge, while performing required clinical activity. Students may choose to purchase additional coverage at their own expense.
- EXXAT and APPROVE: Students enrolled in the MSW program must enroll in EXXAT and APPROVE.
- EXXAT is the clinical tracking and assessment program used by the School of Health Sciences. Cost – one-time payment of $150 per student enrolled in the MSW program (students are responsible for this cost).
- APPROVE is the program within EXXAT that tracks all student health and safety records, provides documentation to prospective clinical sites, and provides notification of impending expiration dates. Cost – $35 for first year, $10 per year after.